Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Rio Tejo, Lisboa, Portugal



Ponte 25 de Abril in Lisbon, Portugal.

This is the waters that have embrace Lisbon for centuries.
The Tejo has inspired poets, such as Pessoa and many other artists or citizens of the soul.

Here is a poem by Alvaro De Campos


Lisbon revisited (1926)
Nothing holds me to anything. I want fifty things at once.With a met-hungry anguish I yearn

For what I don't Know-Definitely for the indefinite...

Restless I sleep and live in restless dreamOf someone who sleeps restlessly, half of me dreaming.They close all the abstract and necessary doors on me.They drew the curtains on all the hypotheses I might see on the street.

There's no house on the side street with the number they gave me.
I woke to the same life I departed by sleeping.Even my dream armies suffered defeat.Even my dreams felt false as I dreamed them.Even the life I only desire - even that life - cloys...
I understand in fits and starts;I write betweentimes when I'm not tired;And a boredom that's bored even of itself drags me ashore;I've no idea how the future and fate will treat my aimless anguish;I don't know what impossible shouthern islands await me shipwrecked;Or what palm-groves of letters will give me at least a line of verse.
No, I don't know this, that, or anything else...And deep in my soul where I dream what I dreamt,In the furthest recesses of my soul where I live memory without any reason(And the past is a natural fog of fake tears),On the shortcuts and roads in the faraway woodsWhere I hypothesized my being,The last remnants of my ultimate illusionFlee, dismantled,My dream armies vanquished without ever having been,My latent cohorts shattered to pieces in God.
Once again I see you, City of my childhood terrifyingly lost...City of my sorrow and joy, I dream here again...I? But am I the same person who lived here once and returned,And came back here again, am I?Or are we, all the I's was or were here,A string of head-being strung all together by a memory strand,A string of dreams of myself which someone outside me dreamt up?


Once again I see you-With heart more distant, soul less my own.
Once again I see you - Lisbon, the Tagus, and all-,Useless passerby of you and of me,

Stranger in this place as in every other,

Accidental in life as is in the soul,Phantom wandering the balls of memory,To the squeeling of rates and the squeaking of boards,In the doomed castle where life must be lived...
Once again I see you,Shadow passing through shadows Shining for one moment in a unknown, funereal light,Then entering the night like a ship's wake disappearingIn water slowly becaome inaudible...
Once again I see you,But myself, alas, I fail to see!Shattered, the magical mirror where I saw myself identical,And in each fateful fragment I descry only a piece of myself-A piece of you and of myself...


(1926)
from «POESIA DE ÁLVARO DE CAMPOS» by Álvaro de Campos



Here is a link to the video of Madredeus singing about Lisbon and the Tejo River
It is called " Moro em Lisboa" ( I live in Lisboa).

mms://videos.madredeus.com/madredeus/MoroEmLisboa.asf

(If you are not able to open to the link ,you can go to the web site of Madredeus( there is a link on my blog) and open "video clips" and you will see "moro em Lisboa".
Abracos
Susana

2 comments:

musalia said...

here from Lisbon I smile over the brigde and Tejo waters...and the sound of Madredeus..

as for the poet, his words are precious :)

Blimunda said...

Um momento unico. Que bom estar por ai a beira do Tejo.

(...)O Tejo é mais belo que o rio que corre pela minha aldeia(...)